Monday, November 24, 2008

You inhaler, your pants, and YOUR SIPPIE!

When the granddaughters finished their first one-miler (see previous post) yesterday, I sat down immediately afterward and pulled off my outer wind-pants, and then my jacket.  I handed both, and my water bottle to AM to hold during the 5K, my 49th race for the year. 
Jogging away from them I said, "See ya in about a half hour."
And they said, "This one's not on the track?"
"Nope, road race."  
I suggested a couple good places to watch, and told them anyone could tell them where to go.  My good buddies George Gillies and Butch stayed ahead of me the whole way, but only by a few seconds.  I think I beat Jeff "The Fat Guy" Campbell, but only because he was injured.  The scenery was gorgeous, but it was a bit chilly.  And my legs ached a lot.
But the best view was Anna Maria, Steven (and his ever-present camera), and the girls at the last turn.  Also SVTC runners club participants, jogging their cool-down were just before them, and they cheered me on as well.  We runners sure need a cheering squad -- especially in the that second "third" of a race.
My buds were at the finish line, and we walked till my wheezing lungs eased up and I had reconnected with my inhaler.  "Five minutes -- we need to cool down," I told my family, sticking the inhaler back in my jacket that Maggie wore and didn't wish to part with.  Then George, Jeff, Butch and I jogged around the parking lot to cool off.
I had crossed the finish line in 28:39 -- not a great pace, but enough to make second place in my age group.  The winner came in around 24-something, and I've never ran anywhere near that pace. So I was very pleased.  
Eliza and I both took second in our foot races (though she was second female overall and I only second in my age group); and Magdalena took third in the turkey calling.  Butch was third in his age group.  So all participants in "the family" were winners.  Does it get any better than that?
As I walked toward the car, Steven handed me the things I'd given Anna Maria -- and forgotten about.   
"Here's your inhaler, your pants, and. . .your sippie!"  
Yes, it does get better.  Ending a race with a laugh.
"There weren't many females ahead of you, and you were somewhere around the middle of the third," Anna Maria said later.  

No comments: