Sunday, November 16, 2008

# 48 -- for the cross country team in Berryville

Six mile cross-country race in sunshine and 55 degrees yesterday -- shorts and sports top weather. Perfect racing as it had just rained and the air was crisp. There were puddles to dodge though. "Chop" your way through them; keep feet flat: that was Butch's advice, who beat me by about 55 seconds.

This was a loop around a cross country track of grass and trails. One stretch went between two stands of trees. After the first loop most of the runners dropped off, as they had opted for the two-miler. And I pulled off my shirt, as I had dressed for cold rain, not expecting that the sun would come out.

After the second loop, a few more opted out. And the race volunteers yelled at me, "You're almost there -- right here's the four mile mark."

But I kept going and the expression on their face looked like a bit of surprise. But on the third time around, the six mile point, they were screaming, "You made it! Just 600 yards to go. . ."

And Butch was waiting just before the finish line. Because I had never been that far behind him, he was worried about me. Usually I'm that far ahead of him; but he was super fast today and there was no way I could keep up! His injuries are definitely all healed.

Funds raised at this race helped the cross country team with travel costs to go to nationals.

1 comment:

steve said...

I'm jealous since we didn't get to see the sun up here. Hmmm... hard to believe people would opt to only run 2 miles when they could go 6? (whoa!! did I just say that?? am I turning into a hard core runner?? yikes!!)