Thursday, November 27, 2008

Gutter Dance & Medal at Race #50

FCPRD's Thanksgiving Race began at Sherando High School's track, and then headed down the school driveway and alongside the parking lot.  Not three minutes in the race, I ended up in the gutter and tripped over a half-inch rise.  The impromptu "gutter dance" prompted a "Watch out!" from a male bass voice behind me.  As I shuffled to regain balance, the crowd dispersed and gave me room.  The race was a benefit for the Big Brother, Big Sister program of three counties (Frederick County being one). I chopped my way through a tree-root scattered trail, skittered on a gravel path and then shuffled across knobby grass before returning to run on pavement and the track.  The gravel and the grass slowed me down; having already come close to a face plant, I was a bit hesitant on the uneven surface.  Nonetheless my 28:25 minute time netted me a second-place medal for my age group and 144th overall.  Butch was two seconds behind me.  
This was race #50 this year;  so I made that goal.  I have also surpassed my goal of 600 miles, having just finished my 768th mile for the year.  

No comments: