Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Three Days - 43 miles

My running buddy and I have traversed 43 miles in three days using no gas but lots of fuel!
Saturday was a 10-mile race; and then we spent two days cross-training - a 23.5 mile bike ride on Sunday and a 10-mile run-hike combination yesterday. This cross-training actually has two purposes: recovery and preparation for a 20K Dam to Dam in Des Moines on Saturday and physically depleting myself enough that I'll be able to sit in a "tin can" during a 16-hours drive without going stir crazy (no small task for an adult with ADHD).
Figuring out the logistics for a 20K in another state has been a challenge. There's the usual travel preparations: stopping the mail, getting cash from the bank, packing a travel bag, renting a car . . .
But then there's the other running-centered details such as figuring out when to do the pre-race runs amidst a 16-hour car ride; packing a separate race bag for the race day with the appropriate race-day running attire (what will it be like Saturday?), race "fuel", shoes, bib pins, stop watch . . .
Then there's the runner's diet. Everything that enters the runner's body is measured against the energy being expended. So the travel food has to be healthy and calorie appropriate, yet also motoring friendly. And my traveling companion and I neither one plan to spend any time seated in a restaurant!
The long car ride out will end at my baby brother's home in Davenport. As we talked on the phone the other day, he started to ask about my needs. And then, since he knows me all too well, he said something like, "Never mind. . .you'll be running the minute you pull in." I laughed and said, "Yup, so I hope you're ready!"
Well that's one training run I won't have to worry about -- he'll run, too. So we'll have a family reunion, release from ADHD and cabin fever, and a pre-race easy run all at the same time. Another logistical detail cared for; a myriad of others left to go.

4 comments:

steve said...

Hey don't sweat the details of a run in another state. If you happen to forget something... Guess what? You can probably find a replacement out there! :-)

Anieta McCracken said...

Don't sweat the small stuff, huh? You ARE askig for a miracle! I've always said you have a gift for being nonplussed and relaxed about your running. . .a trait I wish I could master better.

steve said...

Well that's pretty interesting. I've been paying a lot more attention to my stop watch. Checking splits and keeping track of pace. You are rubbing off on me in that respect!

Anieta McCracken said...

Just so we meet in the middle -- me becoming more nonplussed and you being a tad bit more conscientious so that you catch injuries or training issues before they become serious AND, more importantly, so that you can actually see just how much progress you've made. I just don't want you becoming nearly as obsessive as I tend to be!