Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Heading Out

Well the last of the details is, hopefully, finished:
  • Breakfast with AM, Steven and five-year-old Maggie this a.m. : story reading to Maggie, listening to the kids' research summary and planning for their upcoming Newfoundland trip, reading to Maggie, hearing about the kids' canoe trip yesterday, and hearing Maggie's newest story. Maggie also had written (with Mommy's help) a story for me and made me a card. I'll miss Maggie as much as she'll miss me. And the kids will miss me, too; they just show it much differently than Maggie's insistent begging for attention demonstrated.
  • Went to the bank, decided all other pondered errands could just wait.
  • Packed my race bag and my trip bag. Having done an overnight in Charlottesville served as training for this experience, and this packing job went much better than the Charlottesville one. AM had to help me last time, as I was just too overwhelmed with the excitement of NY visitors and the details of an overnighter plus race gear to figure it out.
  • Picked up six-year-old Eliza at school, and took her with Butch and me to pick up the rental car. Then Butch finished up mowing at church while Eliza and I went for ice cream. Afterward Eliza went through my bag and made sure nothing was forgotten, and that all clothing was sorted into outfits appropriate for each planned activity. She enjoys helping with details, and I sure did appreciate having her check that nothing was forgotten.
  • Took Eliza home; and then packed up the rental car with gear, maps and snacks; and made supper.
  • E-mail AM with instructions to drink the milk in the fridge and eat whatever else is in there and check on my plants.
  • Turned in the rough draft of my syllabus for class, which starts the day I get back; and did some editing for another job.
  • Set my alarm for 4:30 a.m., and laid out tomorrow's clothes. I may be on my feet at that time, but still be asleep when I dress and head out the door.

It's been a long time since I had a near-week-long real vacation. I've almost forgotten what preparations are needed. If I've forgotten to do something, well, it's just too late now.

No comments: