Monday, May 12, 2008

13 Days to a Day of Rest

Just completed, on Friday, thirteen straight days of exercise without a rest day. Normally I run four days a week, and my goal (though seldom seen to fruition), is to cross-train two other days, for a total of six days of exercise and one total rest day per week.

But my drug of choice, and source of solace and answers to life's downers is exercise, preferably running. An unexpected downturn led to the thirteen-day streak --63 cycling miles, 38 running miles and 9 hours of landscaping. On the thirteenth day, I ran 10 hilly miles through mountain views, along meandering streams, past pastureland with cows, goats. This was in Keezletown, Virginia, just outside of Harrisonburg; and the location of a 10 Miler on the 24th. On Friday, except for a one mile walk interrupted with errands, I rested.

On Saturday, I raced. A thunderstorm prevented Sunday's easy run; but lengthened the Mother's Day popcorn and movie night with my daughter and her family. For every loss there is a win; for every win there is a loss.

No comments: