Monday, May 19, 2008

The Legend. . .

About 80 of us registered at the table shown above for "one of the most challenging races in the region," stated the web site for the Batesville 10K (6.2 miles) on Saturday, the 17th. After registering, the race began about a half mile UP the road from here, and then climbed and climbed along a road along the top of the ridge (photo below). This race is referred to as "'the legend' because of its steep switchbacking climb over a good percentage of the first half of the race."
And I did it in 58 minutes, which was fast enough to put me in first place for my age and gender group. The climb wasn't so bad. It left me winded, but I'm used to climbing hills now. What got me was the steady downhill, steep enough that I felt I'd fall on my face and found myself applying the brakes to slow my running-fall down the mountain again. I escaped uninjured except for a long scratch and bruise along my left calf muscle, an injury incurred while trying to find a private place BEFORE the race and after, I presume, an encounter with one of the many blackberry bushes. I ended up jumping a creek to handle my need and, then, on the way back to the starting line, I saw a porta-potty hidden in one corner of the race area!
About 48 hours later, my left thigh muscle is announcing its presence very clearly. And on Monday's easy recovery run, an old hip injury pinched and squeaked. This is a race that I definitely want to put on my annual events list though.


1 comment:

steve said...

It would be nice to do the climb first for a change. All the upstate NY races I've been in have the climb at the end. Just once I'd like coast to the finish :-)