Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Old Rag -- The Summit

Another spot in the Rock Scramble at Old Rag. There's a blue spot on the boulder on the far right; that's to indicate that hikers are to crawl up and through the crevice immediately to the left where the shadow is.
View from The Summit. . .
The hike downhill from here was painful as it wasn't just a gradual, winding slope down. Instead there were rock stairs, or boulders to scoot, jump or step from. After the strenuous climb up, any jump or step down sent a current of pain through my overworked leg bones and into my hips. So at each "drop" I'd find myself thinking, "Which will hurt less here. . .a jump, step or scootch."
Both Butch and I were quite grateful when the trail smoothed into a gradual slope and we could run past several pods of hikers on the last three miles to the upper parking lot. Believe it or not, a run can be a welcome break from hours of hiking -- running uses different muscles. When we reached the upper parking lot, we opted to cool down by a quick walk and those we had passed earlier all made comments to the effect of, "How far did you two run?" "Did you run the whole thing?" For a split second I wondered why they noticed us, just a couple fellow hikers. And then it dawned on me. Butch had taken a tumble at the very start of the run, and had a stream of blood running from both knees to his calves.

No comments: