Thursday, June 19, 2008

Pyramids

I had told my virtual running buddy a week or two ago that I was "plumb tuckered out." After that my exhaustion level got worse with the heat and with the extra cycling and pool workouts. I remember going to bed last Wednesday bone tired, meaning every bone in my body hurt. And it hurt so much it was hard to get to sleep.
I thought about taking an ibuprofin, but decided to hold off and see if the aches would subside on their own. Anna Maria and I stretched together (I was sleeping at her house as she had an early Thursday morning meeting and needed a babysitter since her husband was away.) That helped some, enough that I finally fell asleep. But Saturday's slow 5K convinced me that I desperately needed some recovery time.
And that's what this week has been for the most part. I've taken naps, gone to bed early and awakened late. Today I actually looked forward to this morning's run, and was ready for an interval workout I haven't done for a long time. I call it a "pyramid" -- 200 meters, 400 meters, 600 meters and then 800 meters on the track. I can't figure out how to time intervals on my watch, so I timed the repeats and then, instead of timing the intervals, I walked 100 meters. between the intervals.
My goal was an 8 minute pace, since I'd run the 7:57 mile last week. The rest must have helped, as I averaged a 7:33 mile pace. At that rate, I might be able to pull a 7:55 mile at next week's track workout.
Incidentally, the burns are healing well. I popped the two biggest blisters. That took the pressure off and now they feel fine.

No comments: