Monday, June 16, 2008

Meltin' in Montevideo

A dozen of us raced a 5K in Montevideo Saturday morning in memory of Don Glick, who coached at that high school for more than 30 years. Under his coaching, the team won five state championships in track and field. We began this race by running around "his" track, up onto a road that turned to dirt, up some hills, back to the track and back around it again.
It was hot! The oppressive air shoved down on my head till I could barely lift my feet, and every breath felt like sucking water. At the turn-around, I gulped one glass of water and dumped the other down my back, but it didn't seem to help much.
Here, at the start, I'm in front with my running buddy Susan Dendinger immediately behind and George Gillies (far right). Susan's been walking a lot of races because of a hamstring injury. This is the first race we've run together where she could actually run, and she ran an impressive 27:08. George ran a 26:12.
Whew! I made it. I came in at 28:32, 12th place. That's my slowest 5K since April 26, but it was also my 2d 5K last week. That, plus the heat, probably accounts for the slower pace. As my granddaughter often says, "Grammie, you can't win all the time. It isn't fair. Sometimes you need to let someone else win."
--Photos by Butch Proctor, who unfortunately couldn't run because of a calf muscle pull. But he could take pics!

2 comments:

steve said...

Thanks Butch for these pictures. You know Sis how lucky you are to have an entourage (of one). Must be nice to have a mobile water station to boot :-)

Anieta McCracken said...

Agreed, but I'd be happier if he was well enough to run. His calf is healing though. He did a couple miles at a 12-minute mile pace this morning. And he didn't have any pain. So that's good.