Monday, June 9, 2008

Cross-training ... Pool Running

After Saturday's 7-mile-run I took the granddaughters camping. We spent most of Saturday afternoon and early evening in the camp pool. Eliza swims well now, and loves jumping off the deep end (which was five feet deep). Magdalena, however, is content to sit in her toy innertube, using her arms and legs to drift along. She'll jump off the shallow end, but only if her tube is around her waist.
She and I played barge several times -- I, the tug boat, held on to her while I side-stroked or dog paddled to the deep end and back, running when I could touch the bottom near the mid-point. I'll bet we did 50 laps that way! Sometimes Eliza joined us as another "engine." Often times I'd lose hold of Maggie, and she and I would giggle, "Oops! the tug lost the barge!" I'd then reverse course, latch onto her, and push off again.
We took three swim breaks -- once when the pool was closed because of thunder and a threatening storm, once for a playground break and once for a 15-minute hay ride. I saw the threatening cloud before the pool was closed, pointed it out to the girls and warned, "See that cloud up there. It could get ugly. If it does, I'll tell you to get out of the pool NOW, and I'll need you to do so immediately. Okay?"
A few minutes later, while on the playground after the pool had closed, thunder cracked and lightening flashed. I looked at the girls and said, "NOW!" Eliza looked at me wide-eyed, paused for about 30-seconds and took off running. Magdalena didn't hestitate for a second but ran off. I said, "The pavillion. . ." Just as we neared the pavillion there was another flash and boom. Liza halted, looked at me and said, "No, not there! Let's go to the bathroom."
I nooded my head, grabbed both girls hands and we switched directions. A few seconds later I heard hail on the skylight.
"Oh, oh. That's not good," I said.
Maggie said, "That sounds like rocks on the roof. What is that?"
I said, "Hail."
I cracked the bathroom door just enough to see out. Pea-sized hail splattered on the gravel road, now a three-inch deep rivelet.
"How can ice come out of the sky when it's this hot?" Eliza asked.
And so I told her about hail and how it forms. We were all quickly bored, but the storm didn't last more than a few minutes. Once the gully washer became a sprinkle, we headed back to the campsite for a snack and to check on the tent. A damp sleeping bag and a puddle on the tent floor. Nothing insurmountable though. Back to the pool and then, around 7, the traditional grilled salmon with S'mores before crawling into a soggy sleeping bag and tent for the night.

No comments: