Monday, June 9, 2008

Hot Babe on a Hot Run -- Literally!

Pretty hokey title, I know, but I'll bet it caught your attention, didn't it?
The temps in Virginia soared to the high-80s and mid-90s last week. I attempted a short five-mile run Tuesday around noon, immediately upon returning from Iowa. Butch's calf injury didn't let him run, but he cycled alongside. At the turn-around point for a 3-mile run, I was dragging. Since Butch was along and not running, I decided to push myself as hard as I dared.
At the two-mile point he said, "I've never heard you breathe that hard on a run."
I heard the warning, and slowed my pace. Still I decided to continue the five-mile-run -- just not at the tempo pace I had planned. By mile 4 I had finished off the contents of Butch's water bottle. I hadn't brought one of my own, having never needed water for a five-mile-run before, and not thinking about the heat.
I reached the 4.5 mile point, and Butch rode off. Shortly thereafter my son-in-law and granddaughter drove by in my car which they had borrowed; and I stopped for a moment to arrange a meeting. And then I took off once more, finishing in a bit over 1 hour -- agonizingly slow. And there was Butch, with more water in hand.
Wednesday went much better. This time I rode solo, and, thus, used much greater caution. I drank lots of water and a slugged a Sports drink before my 3-mile, which I ran in a safe and slow 32:17.
Friday was a cycling break for me and then Saturday's scheduled called for a long run. I left at 8 a.m., an hour earlier than usual for my morning runs. I had my Camelback hydration pack on my back and my running buddy alongside on his bike. I took off down Turner, and up 42/Harpine Highway. That was the sunniest part of the 7.2 trek. It seemed that every sip of water just seeped right back out from every pore in my body. The sweat soaked my tank and ran in rivelets down my legs.
A right turn up Trissels. I opted to walk up the long, steep hill, hoping I'd be able to run the rest of the way. The turn on Sunset brought smatterings of shade and breeze, and welcome relief. Nonetheless I still walked a couple more hills. I just couldn't run slow enough to keep from getting too short of breath.
I finished with a time of 1:18:39--eight minutes slower than planned. Given the heat, I'll take it.
But my pre-run routine has changed to accomodate the stressors of summer heat. Smoothies made with soy milk instead of oatmeal with milk for breakfast, a Sports drink before any run greater than 3 miles if the temps are above 75 degrees, a waist pack with water for five miles and up, the Camelback for anything 7 miles and up, training goal paces of 9 to 10 minute mile pace, and easy or long goal paces of 10 to 11 minute mile pace.

1 comment:

steve said...

Yep that's a pretty "hokey title" alright! How's this sound "Sizzlin Sis on a real Scorcher" or "Griddled Granny gets Grilled"... ew, not sure 'bout that last one ?!?