Saturday, April 12, 2008

What in the world?!?!

I'm babysitting the four-legged grandchildren this weekend, and was told they didn't really need anything on Friday but maybe a "check-up" near bedtime, and then their usual twice-a-day feeding thereafter. A t-storm was threatening as I came home from dinner with a friend last night, so we opted to check on the "grandkids" together. (My original plan had been to get dropped off at home, and then go back and spend the night at my daughter's. )
But given the looming storm, we both went straight to the kids' house instead. The lightening hit about the same time we landed at the dogs' gate; and when I pulled the latch those girls took off on a dead run. Fortunately they headed for the house. I let them in, fed them and opted to let them stay inside. They had never behaved that way before, so I thought they were frightened. The sheep seemed fine, and could go inside an out building. I shut the door and went home.
When we got there this a.m., on the way to a race in Bridgewater, however, the door was wide open. The door latch isn't very tight, and, I guess, it got blown open in the storm. Athena, the dog the kids are keeping for its owner, was there. But Azul, the kids' Border Collie was AWOL. I looked around some; but really had no idea where to look or what to do. I debated giving up on the morning's race, but decided there was nothing more to be done.
The race began (mid-60s and sunshine for a change) and I opted for steady and easy. I wanted to save energy for next week's race. I felt sluggish and figured I'd do well just to finish. So I didn't plan a push at the end. But just as I neared the finish line, I heard heavy breathing and footsteps back of my left shoulder. I gave it all I had, determined not to get beat at the end! Crowds love those last second dramas. They screamed. I surged with energy I didn't know I had. Nonetheless George did a C-turn and cut me off right at the finish line, beating me by one second.
He smiled and said something like, Good job! His demeanor was polite and gentle. I thought, "What a great winner!"
And I said, "I THOUGHT I was all done, but then I heard you coming and realized I had more in me than I thought. That's what they say, right? It's mind over matter." I then gave him a high-five and told him he'd done great as well. I was content. I'd done what I set out do do and was pleased with the day.
But then, while waiting for the awards ceremony, I learned who George Gillis REALLY is. . .George is a researcher at the University of Virginia, and top in his field. He is working on a guidance system for the catheters used to treat heart patients. The system design plan calls for using magnets on the patient, and magnets in the catheter. I didn't learn this from George, mind you, but from his friends who were peppering him with questions about the latest gains in his research. And then one spoke about how humble and gracious George was. . .as I had experienced just a few moments before.
Then it was time for the awards ceremony. A fellow in my track club won first place overall. And then they began calling out the women winners. When they announced third place, I thought I must have heard wrong, as I knew my time was a few minutes faster than that. And then they called second place. It was Susan, a mutual friend; and I knew I had come in a couple minutes ahead of her. Still puzzled and trying to figure out what I wasn't understanding, they called the first place winner's name. Upon hearing my name, I looked at my friend Butch, in total shock and disbelief, and asked, "What am I supposed to do?"
"Why, go on. Get up there and get your prize." he said, as he waved me off.
After they hung the first place women's medal around my neck, they then handed me a gift certificate -- for $75.
And I'm sitting here, still completely dumbfounded and thinking, "Now doesn't that just beat all!"
Azul has not yet turned up. But when I called my daughter after I got home, she said that Azul had already escaped once this week. And their phone number is on a tag on her collar, so I'm expecting to meet one of her neighbors later this weekend.
I guess all I know to say is the same thing I've been saying more and more often of late. . .I have no clue what God is up to these days. I DO know that everything He does is for a purpose and with a plan in mind. It's just that historically I've made that statement most often as I have called family and friends to tell them about still another setback in my lfe. It's been a rare occasion when I've made that statement from the position of strength and victory. And so I keep my eyes open, in wonder, and in hopes that, whatever God is doing, I am working with Him and not against Him.
God is good. Sometimes we see it; the rest of the time we live by faith.

1 comment:

steve said...

Well done Sis !! Yes our God is certainly amazing. He does delight in allowing the best to happen for us. I believe you'll be heaped upon with even more blessings. Keep looking for the good things all around you.