Monday, April 28, 2008

Unique Calling Card

Cycled 25 miles yesterday -- to New Market and around and through the countryside, alongside the river, under canopies of trees, through the historic downtown, stopping to watch a bit of baseball. We pulled a pretty good hill up to a friend's house, but she and her family weren't home. There was a pen on the railing of the porch, and I had an energy bar in my fanny pack. So I wrote a note on the bar, and left it in the door. I've left quite a few "calling cards" in my days, especially when I was working as a pastor. But I've never left one like that. Katie will laugh; she has an amazing sense of humor. And she's one tough mama.
She ran up till the week before her baby came, never missing a Tuesday night club run. Butch often ran with her, watching for anything that might trip her, and cause an emergency balance adjustment and subsequent nasty fall. And then one Tuesday, club members learned, Katie had gotten up to go the bathroom because her stomach felt funny. Suddenly she realized her little person was entering the world. She called her mom and the midwife, and mom arrived just in time to play catch.
Katie's goal now is to keep up with those of us at the back of the pack. She sure pushed me hard last week; it was all I could do to keep up with her.

No comments: