Sunday, November 18, 2007

Pillow Case Dresses

Eliza, Maggie and I went to Target where they picked out pillow cases to make into dresses. They chose cases with a pale sage green background and pink roses (I can, in my mind, hear my mom "oohhing," as she loved roses.) After lunch, which their Daddy Steven (above) prepared, we got to work. Above you can see the finished results...click on the photo to enlarge it and you can see the detail, delicate trim along the hemline, and buttons at the neckline. Because the pillowcases also came with sheets, they now have new sheets that look wonderful in their pink room, too.
Eliza has sewn before, so sewing neat tiny stitches required concentration, but not too much effort. Using a seam ripper to rip open the top of the pillowcase was new, but she needed no instruction. After watching me she asked, "I can do that." I handed her the ripper, showing her where the blade was, and she was on task with no instruction needed.
For Magging (4) sewing was a new thing. Every time she managed to poke the needle through the cloth and pull it tight, she would exlaim, "Look! I did it!"

No comments: