Saturday, November 10, 2007

Bringing home the gold...

--photo by Susan Hendrickson

That would be my first running medal...and it's a "gold". Actually I think it's my first gold medal, although I did receive a medal when I graduated from college with honors the first time. I came in first in my age group at the 116th Infantry 5K today at Gypsy Hill Park. Now I must confess that I was also the ONLY woman in my age group...but I like to think I was also the only female my age gutsy enough to tackle the park hills and the cold, dreary day. (At least some runners complained a bit, but after the 10 miler really hilly run, the hills didn't bother me. I WAS cold though, especially after the race.) AND I did beat my Crosswinds 5K by about 4 minutes. When I complain about my times to my daughter, she often says something to the effect that most women my age can't even run three miles. Maybe she's right. After all I WAS the only one my age running the 116th....
Running with soldiers was a new experience. Many soldiers in the 116th are deployed to Iraq, as I understood the MC during the awards presentation. My landlord's husband did a year in Iraq riding around in a humvee according to his wife; and he has a bad back and difficulty hearing because of it. Though the war in Iraq is in the news almost daily, the reports have become akin to elevator music -- constantly present and never heard. Participating in this 5K and watching the parade from my second story window today -- one foot hanging outside and the other foot inside -- made the war more real and reminded me of my need to pray more about this matter.
Stats (for those interested): 27:44 total time, 69.9% in the field, 8:56 mile pace. My legs turned to jelly near the end; I ate like I do for my Saturday morning 10 milers. I think I didn't eat quite enough for a 2:00 p.m. 5K race; so I learned something. I'll eat a bit more before next Sunday's run in Bridgewater.

No comments: