Wednesday, January 2, 2008

This one's for Chicago and Ryan Shay...

It was cold today, 25 degrees now and probably about 30 degrees when I got off work. An occasional running partner cancelled because of scheduling issues and the cold, he said. I debated doing the same. But I received my Runners' World magazine today. I've been anxiously awaiting stories about the 2007 Chicago marathon and about Ryan Shay, and that magazine didn't disappoint me.

The Chicago marathon was held during a record high for the October race (over 81 degrees). Though 36,000 started, only about 24,000 finished. One died, and over 10,000 were diverted, injured or dropped out.

I also read about Ryan Shay, 28 and married for about 4 months. Though he died in NY this summer at the 5.5 mile mark while competing in the U.S. Men's Olympic Marathon Trials, he was known for his dedication to running. 140-mile training weeks, according to author Amby Burfoot (p. 88). His father said, "He simply wouldn't allow himself to be distracted by outside influences." Outside influences like the Michigan cold. "The locals couldn't fathom why a teenager would bull his way through 10-mile training runs in blizzards and sub-zero tempteratures" (p. 91).

If Shay could run in below zero temps and the Chicago runners could run in record heat, I could run on a cold Virginia day with temps hovering around the mid-20s.

And so today, like Shay, I refused to be distracted....

2 comments:

steve said...

Good for you Sis!!!

steve said...

Way to go Sis !!!!