Sunday, January 6, 2008

Wheels

I start a new job on the 14th, and needed wheels to get there. But it's hard to hunt for wheels when you don't have any so, as usual, I posted my need to my friends via e-mail and phone. In the meantime I did what I could, which wasn't much. None of my phone calls in response to ads netted any good solutions. But son-in-law Steven found this one at EMU. I called the owner who, understandably, didn't want to hold the car till I could look at it yesterday. So Steven did it for me, and he said he'd go for it. Steven told me ins and outs. I called the owner and said, "yes"; he even brought it to the Staunton DMV (a 40 minute drive) for me to pick up. When he called to say he was on his way, I did a U-turn and finished my morning run at the DMV. The papers were nearly completed when I handed him the money. Once all was cared for, we went outside and I saw the car for the first time. The Mercury is 16 years old and has 160,000 miles, and it's a 5-speed. There was a tear in the driver's side seat. I bought seat covers to protect that and Eliza (6) installed them for me. I could get them on the seat, but Eliza said that wasn't good enough. "We really need to do this right," she said. And she then figured out how to fasten them. This photo was taken in Lost River Park, West Virginia. The car handled great.

1 comment:

steve said...

Looks like it's in pretty good shape !!!