Monday, January 21, 2008

Margin...

I'm supposed to be at 42 miles for the year right now. Instead tonight I just reached 30, 12 miles short. I actually thought I could run 15 mile weeks this year, but dropped back to 13 as I know "stuff" happens.

And "stuff" has already happened. Good stuff, but it's still stuff and it's still stressful.

When I got home a week ago from my first day on the new job, I had no illusions of running. A new job, plus a total communiting time of 1 hour and 45 minutes sapped my strength. Tuesday was the same. Thursday was ice and snow. Saturday was apartment hunting (a very successful adventure, I might add; photos to come Feburary 2, the Lord willing). Yesterday I slept. One week off. Twelve miles behind.

But it's okay. Pastor Barry spoke about restoring margin last Sunday in church. And skipping my runs for a week did that for me. The first week in the new job is now over. The routine is more comfortable. The drive is less intimidating. The coworkers are great (having been stranded in Harrisonburg with four overnight on Thursday because of the ice and snowstorm gave me a rare opportunity to know them very well!).

Now there's a new rhythm , and running again has its place in the dance of life. Though just 27 degrees tonight, I ran in jacket and windpants. And it was very good.

No comments: