Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Running Progress Report

I have kept paper records of my runs since I started four years ago. But in July I added a free computerized version found on Runners' World. Though I am sentimental about my paper versions, I must admit that the computerized version tells me at a glance some statistics not as easily accessible in the paper version.
Year to date progress:
Though I didn't run as well as I had hoped in the Canandaigua Crosswinds 5K, I did run a tempo run tonight at 9:44 pace (nearly 3 miles). Over the summer I've dropped my Gypsy Hill lap times by 1:30. So I'm well on my way to making a sub-10-minute-mile 5K by the end of the year.
I did run a 10-miler, which wasn't even on my year's running goals.
Though I won't quite make my 520 mile year, as I had hoped, I'll be close (If I could do 28.5 mile weeks for the next two months I'd make it, but 20-25 is enough).
It's okay though...I cut my mileage back when I moved here so that I could adapt to the hills. While that cost some mileage, it also made my legs much stronger.
So I accomplished two things -- hills and a ten-miler -- that weren't even on my list, and failed at the mileage goal that was on the list.
I also think I stayed injury free, although my Achille's did get a bit sore when I first started the hills.
All in all, it seems to me that the accomplishments outweigh the failures, and there's still two months left. So I'm already calling it a successful year. And if I do pull off the sub-10-minute mile 5K in November, I'll be ecstatic. (When I shared that statement with a friend tonight, he said, "Just be content with leaving off the first syllable." Ah yes, maintaining a static state isn't such a bad goal either, especially as one reaches the AARP years.
I'm already thinking about goals for next year. I AM now running 20 mile weeks, so I could set a 1000-mile-goal for next year, and probably make it. But instead I think I'll go for 750, or about 15 miles per week. I want to leave some flexibility in the schedule to make room for treasured times spent camping with the granddaughters, perhaps some kayaking and cycling, and, definitely, some hiking.
I am hoping, too, for a half-marathon next year. And I'm thinking about the Virginia Beach Shamrock...or perhaps the Charlottesville half. Anyone want to join me?

No comments: