Saturday, October 20, 2007

One Hill of a Run...the rest of the story

In spite of fighting a cold all week and using my inhaler around the clock, I awakened at 6:00 a.m. and, having laid everything out the night before, was dressed, breakfasted (oatmeal with milk and blueberries, with coffee) and out the door by 6:50 a.m -- on a jog/walk to my first 10-mile race, a mile away.
Co-worker and neighbor Susan's door opened just as mine did. She said a quick prayer for me, "God, let her legs be swift, her heart be strong and her lungs ...(I don't remember the rest)" And I was off.
At the gym, and already warmed up, I presented my bib and received a timing chip, which asked somebody showed me how to attach to my shoe. I downed a sports drink and headed outside to stretch. I talked for a bit with some of the other runners, and found a couple 12-minute-milers with whom to start. At 7:45 a.m. we were off ... to a very fast start. Having already run the course two weeks before, I backed off. I decided I would just run my own race solo, knowing everyone was at a pace too fast for me to maintain. But by mile one, I was already picking them off.
Shortly after mile two I realized I had forgotten to take a 1-minute walk break at the 20 minute point, so I reset my chronograph and walked for one minute. By that time I had found a running partner who was surprised at my choice. I wasn't even breathing hard or seeming stressed. "I can't pace myself slow enough for these hills," I said. "So after reading a recent Runner's World article about someone who intentionally runs long runs with a walk break, I started doing it, too. And it works for me." He ran on, but soon I caught up with him. "When's your next walk break? I think I'll join. I've never walked a race before, but I've never run hills like this before." So we swapped stories and took a walk break together. Then he petered out and said, "Go on...I have to walk a while."
Soon I found another runner to pace alongside. He hadn't trained much lately. An older gentleman, he'd been out of state over the last couple weeks for two family funerals and a wedding for a nephew just back from Iraq." I said just the emotional ups and downs of that would tax one's strength.
At mile 5 I slurped down an energy gel with lots of water from my camelback. And soon I enjoyed a bit of downhill. At the 7-mile marker I actually felt a bit of disappointment. "I don't want this to be over. I'm having so much fun. This is enjoyable." I ran from mile 7 to 8, not seeing another runner anywhere. For a few seconds, I feared I had gone off course. And then I saw a green footprinted painted on the pavement, and knew I was still on track. Being the solo runner for about a mile in a race was actually enjoyable....no stress, just a chance to enjoy the run and the scenery.
I did have to walk up the last steep hill--even though I hadn't yet reached the next planned breaking time. And then I headed alongside the park for the last stretch--setting my pace just behind the young man I had just caught up to. After entering the park and the home stretch, I passed that runner -- someone much younger than me. The end of the race was a loop around a parking lot. All the volunteers were whooping and hollering. Just then I heard a familiar voice shout, "Paparazzi coming!" And there was my son-in-law -- racing to catch up with me. He ran past, turned around and ran backwards so he could snap some photos--he brought joy to my spirit, a smile to my face, and a surge of energy. (Later Anna Maria told me that, fortunately, they had left home early. They had just entered the park, wondering how they'd find me, when I ran past them. She said her husband had rushed them out the door, hurried them along, and she was so grateful. Had he not hurried them, they have missed the finish).
For me I was circling the last loop. The finish line was in sight. Just when I thought I had nothing left for a hard finish, I saw Eliza's distinctive white blonde hair right next to the finish chute. Then I saw Anna Maria and Maggie next to her. That gave me the energy to surge to the end -- wheezing and gasping for air. The finish chute took a sharp left there, and I nearly missed that. I was completely spent. But just then I heard a volunteer to my left say, "She needs to chill." Her voice kept me from running into the barrier! I guess I was supposed to have stopped at the finish to have the chip pulled; but they gave me a second to collect myself and ease the wheeze a bit, before clipping the chip from my shoelace.
Anna Maria watched with concern in her face as I dug out my inhaler and tried to breathe. But it wasn't long, and I soon had my air back. Then I got my victory hugs. I was ecstatic. I had done it and I had run well. No mistakes.
Content with that, but curious about the time, I looked at my watch for the total time. "Hmm, I thought. If this is right I far exceeded my goal." AM said, "Go check...ask where to go." So I did...and I did. I hoped for 2 hours and ran the course in 1:47:34 - a 10:46/mile pace. I nearly burst into tears. I hugged Anna Maria and the girls, all the time repeating, "Thank you, Jesus. Thank you, Jesus. This is like a miracle."
Thank you, thank you to all of those who prayed for me, and who have encouraged me on my running journey.

No comments: