Saturday, October 6, 2007

"One Hill of a Run"

That's what the founders of the inaugural GMAC Staunton 10-miler have named the October 27 course. The race is a benefit for the Boys and Girls Club.

I actually ran the thing today and "challenging," the term used on the web site, is an accurate term (no photos though. sorry). The steep hills through miles two through seven (approximately) are bad enough, but the course meanders through 39 streets (some for only a block or two), so there are also 39 turns. I missed one, and went the wrong way three times, adding another extremely steep and long hill.

I thought I'd create a pace chart and tape or rubber band half to each arm, but my arms weren't long enough for the list of streets if the print was to remain large enough to read. So I tried to hold the list as loosely as possible in my fist; I wanted to maintain the ability to stay "loose" and relaxed so I could swing my arms as I ought. It worked okay...I am hoping that, on race, day the course will be marked so I won't need the entire list of streets.

Nonetheless in spite of those obstacles, I completed the entire course. And I did it in about 2:13 (2 hours and 13 minutes), or at a 13:20 mile pace. That's a far cry from my 12 minute mile goal, but I STILL think I'll reach that goal, having run 8.8 last week at 10:58 pace. Just going the right direction will knock a few minutes off the time for two reasons: once I realized I was going the wrong way, I had to stop and turn around. So not only did I run father than necessary, the turning around messed up my running pace.

And much of the run is along some pretty streets. One section passes a woods. Another crosses a creek. And then the houses here are so unique; none look like their neighbors, so the route is interesting.

I am pretty excited about today's success. Though I made several mistakes, I stayed the course. Though I was tired when I started, having run hard over the last week, I finished. To finish the race well though, I'll need the mental focus to beat the hills, maintain running form and keep my breathing rate steady.

No comments: