Saturday, July 18, 2009

Race at Home

The Chickenstock 5K was in Broadway today. Running through familiar hills on familiar roads in cool temperatures (mid-60s) required a lot less concentration and mental energy since I knew what to expect and how to run the course. I did not know all I needed to know, however, as I missed a turn and led my followers astray. I had passed about five people, and was doing well for my post-pneumonia state when I came upon an intersection and an angled arrow. I gave heed and pondered: is this a straight ahead arrow or am I to turn? I could see no one in front of me and no other arrows, so I plowed straight ahead. Alas! about three or four followed in my steps. Two blocks later I heard, "Are you running the race?"
"Yes"
"We just missed our turn."
And so I had to do a U-turn, but just before the finish line I passed those who had gained a lead on me because of the false turn. As I reached the finished line, about two full minutes behind schedule (which is a very long time in a race with people who know your normal speed and medical history), I saw my buddies, all of whom were looking very concerned. I hollered out, "I missed my turn." All at once the looks of concern turned to relief, and we had a good laugh.
I still came in fourth place in my age group and had a chance to chat and hang out with friends: Daryl, Butch, Jeff, George, Joe, and Patti. And my pace was less than 10 minute mile pace, which was close to my goal.

1 comment:

steve said...

Hey! sounds like you had a good effort and it wasn't a dnr! Maybe you should have support vehicles to follow like the Tour de France cyclists! (LOL)