Sunday, February 8, 2009

Knees, Arms, Breathe!

I've read several mantras, things people say as they run to keep them going. But I've been looking for something more rhythmic, something that pounds in my head like a drumbeat to my step. So I've played with several versions of the things my former running coach used to say: Knees up. Pump your arms. Breathe. 
But that's not rhythmic either. And then on a recent run when I wanted so much to quit because of the cold, I got it. Knees. Arms. Breathe! Those are my three problem areas, the areas I most need to concentrate on. 
I practiced the new mantra on yesterday's 10-mile run and it worked. When the wind pushed hard against me during the first three miles and I wanted to quit, "knees, gasp, arms, gasp, breathe" got me thinking about form instead of the hard push.  A fairly slow base drum tempo setting "Knees. . .Arms. . .Breathe!" paced me up the hills. And a much faster drum roll, "knees, arms, breathe; knees, arms, breathe" kept me rolling on the downhills.  
And that drum roll became a crazed drum solo as I raced the last few yards into my apartment parking lot. Hmmm, did I hear a cymbal's crash?

No comments: