Sunday, February 1, 2009

Family of Runners

Yesterday I participated in an "Old Fat Man's Race", meaning that the host calls any race that starts at his home an "Old Fat Man's Race." Though the host is built more like line backer than the stereotypical runner, he is by no means fat and he can run at a pretty good pace. And if he's old then my 50+ years makes me ancient.
Nonetheless whenever I see an "Old Fat Man's Race", I know there will be a well organized event with lots of food and comradeship--like yesterday's race. He even lets us use the bathroom in his house and gather throughout his kitchen, dining area and living room.
After the 10K race in 38 degree temperatures, which he and volunteers from his family and workplace organized, we ate brats brought by one of the race participants, a medical researcher in Charlottesville who runs many races with our Harrisonburg group.  There's a couple other Charlottesville folks who often run with our group and we often run with them when there's a race in their area.
After the race results, a Mary Kay representative let us try some products geared especially for runners.  In her follow-up note to me, she remarked about being able to meet my "family of runners."  
She said it well. For me, every race run with this group is a family reunion where running just happens to be one event on the day's agenda. Outside of that main event, we catch up on family news, share each other's hurts and rejoice whenever anyone has a joy -- running related or not.  
And an Old Fat Man race is a great place for a family reunion. 

No comments: