Thursday, February 5, 2009

Another cold run. . .

Eleven degrees when I stepped outside this morning, and the flag across the street was swaying in the breeze. This year's running log shows no other morning with temps this low, and only two mornings with wind chills colder than this one. So this was a bit brutal. 
I put on two long-sleeved tees, two long-sleeved fleece tops, sweat and nylon pants, two pairs of socks and my ski mask and headed out after two precautionary hits on my inhaler.  We opted for the trail around the park, which was mostly bare.  We did have to pick our way around some icy and snow-covered patches; so that added a bit of variety to our normal routine there. The pea gravel track doesn't get very icy, but there were a few slippery spots.
It was slow going, but we did it.  And it really wasn't too bad after we got to the park where the trees block some of the wind.  I did have to stop once to catch my breath, but this felt like my best winter run--one of the slowest according to the clock.  But I felt good.  I managed to keep running and ignore the cold which I haven't done on the other cold days.
Now that I've "mastered" running in the cold, I'm ready for the predicted 50s and 60s this weekend!

No comments: