Sunday, September 7, 2008

LSD. . .

Fall is here and with it weather that's a tad bit cooler and drier. So it's time to increase the distance of my long, slow runs. Yesterday I did a 7-mile run that I haven't tried since June 7. Thirty-eight minutes into the run I was at the hill on Tressels Road. Two minutes after that I crested the top. When I ride down that hill on my bicyle, I have to use the brakes to keep my speed to 35 mph or under. A Runners World article stated you can estimate the degree of slope on a hill by coasting on a bike; the speed is a rough estimate to the degree of slope. But I made it without walking and without wheezing.
The last half of the run was more downhill than up, and had more shade than sun. I didn't quite make my 11 minute mile pace, but it sure felt good to be running long, slow distances again.

No comments: