Monday, September 22, 2008

I'd Rather be in Iowa

I can't think of a place I'd rather live than right here in the Shenandoah Valley where I can run free whenever I want without worry about weather or whatever. But then there are times when I'd rather be back home in Iowa -- like last summer when my birthplace and childhood home were inundated with floodwaters and I wanted to help; and like today when I'd love to snuggle this new grandnephew. He was about 24 hours old when the above photo was taken and then sent via e-mail. His coming out party was no picnic for his mama who had to push hard for 2 1/2 hours before Harper could see the world; but she did it and Grannie Annie (my sis) has repeatedly stated how proud she is of Aubrey, too.
Harper did NOT like his first bath but he sure seems to know and love his daddy already. The photo below makes me think of something I read years ago in a book titled, How to Really Love Your Child. The author stated that a baby's eyes will search crazily for eye contact; that almost immediately after birth it craves for the affection it feels when seen eye to eye. I found that to be true oftentimes when my girls and granddaughters were little -- just holding them tight, looking them in the eye and speaking softly would calm them. And Harper seems quite content there snuggled in Daddy's strong arms where they can gaze at each other eye to eye.

1 comment:

farmerswifederbymom said...

Awww, he's so cute! Congratulations to your family!!