Sunday, December 9, 2007

Designer Backpacks

I have always enjoyed my granddaughters, but now that they're old enough to do projects, they're even MORE fun. This weekend we made backpacks...I showed them photos of dufflebags, bags and backpacks in catalogs, and then asked them what kind of bags they'd like to make. I dumped out a heap of scrap material from my "to-do-something-with-someday" collection, buttons, trim, etc. And then we set to work....I asked them what shape and what they had in mind. Maggie (4) wanted a square (see above) and Eliza (6) wanted a rectangle with one strap going across (below). I drew lines, as they guided, onto a painter's dropcloth (after measuring their backs to get the right size), and cut as instructed. And then we went to work...they picked the stitches to sew on the applique. After I sewed the pieces together, constantly asking for further instruction and decisions, the girls took markers and drew more designs ... Maggie's (above) has a row of butterflies just below the flap. Eliza has a whole nature scene on hers...you can at least see the grass and butterflies if you enlarge the photo below.

No comments: