Saturday, August 4, 2007

Eliza makes breakfast

Eliza making oatmeal - ALL BY HERSELF!
Maggie attacks her bowl with a fervor.

AM and the girls planned to spend Saturday in Staunton, trying on the dresses I have been working on (Eliza and Anna Maria's fit, but Maggie's needs to be downsized). Because Steven was headed for Ohio to "shoot" a wedding and his car needs to be repaired, AM didn't have a car. So we decided that I would stay in Broadway overnight and take the girls to Staunton the next morning so they could see the updates to my apartment and try on dresses. When I awakened Saturday morning, Eliza played hostess and made breakfast for everyone -- oatmeal with honey in it.
She made Maggie's bowl first and then mine. "The cook is supposed to eat last," Eliza said. "That way you can be sure there's enough. And I think I am just going to have cold cereal because I ran out of oatmeal, but that's okay. That's what cooks do."
I agreed and said she was exactly right -- good hostesses DO take care of their guests that way. And that I was so very proud of her. But then when she handed me my huge bowl of oatmeal, I looked at it and said, "Eliza, this is a very BIG bowl of oatmeal; don't you think we could share it?"
And so we did!

No comments: