Saturday, August 11, 2007

Angel on a Run

After all the joy and excitement of last weekend (see earlier post), this week itself had more bumps than bliss. It was so very hot, even for me. And I think that was a lot of the problem. I think the heat sapped my strength and energy, and my ability to have an attitude of gratitude. When I tried to run Wednesday I felt chest pains on the second mile and my legs were so heavy, I decided it best to quit. On Thursday my car broke down while hunting for some way to cool off my apartment, and on Friday I learned that it really wasn't worth fixing.

But on this Saturday morning at 8:00 a.m., it was just 77 degrees. I donned my running gear (including a camel back hydration pack that Nelson gave me) and downed a banana, Gatorade, two bottles of water and two cups of coffee. As I set out I said to God, "Please do you think I could have a good run today? I think that's what I really need, a good long run."

The first mile was a bit too fast. So I slowed down for the first lap around the park--each "marker" was on pace. On the second lap I got completely lost in thought and forgot I was running (that's a rare moment indeed!) even on the hill. The new camel back was a HUGE help; I could sip whenever I needed to without having to stop. That not only allowed me to stay on pace; it also kept me from getting sick to my stomach like I usually do. Near the end of the third lap I thought, "Wow! I am running. I can walk. I can breathe." That wasn't true five years ago. I thanked God again for healing my legs and lungs -- He knew that I'd be needing them here in Staunton, a walking-town where everything I need is within a mile of my apartment.

Just as I finished that thought, a 30-something (I'm guessing) male ran up to me and asked if I'd mind if he ran a lap with me.
I said, "That would be awesome. I am going to reach a PR (personal record) if I can stay on pace, and I'm getting tired. But you run much faster than me." (I'd seen him run past a couple times before). He said he'd been doing some intervals but was ready for a slower run and that he thought I'd help him slow the pace a bit. Great--mutually compatible goals. Synergy with a stranger.
So he ran that last lap alongside me, even taking a very short walking break when I needed one. (My breathing was getting a bit ragged. My inhaler was at home, and I didn't want to scare him.) I told him about my earlier thoughts of gratitude for God's healing. He pondered a bit and said something about believing in God and thanked me for sharing. His morning had been more frustrating, however. There had been a 5K (which I hadn't known about) in which he had planned to run, but missed. He said he'd been wondering why. I commented that sometimes we just never know why God allows some things.
"But I DO know that THIS morning God used you to answer MY prayer for a good run. He used you as an angel in human form. And I am very thankful."
He then headed off for another lap; and I left the park and ran the rest of the way home -- 7 miles (actually 7.1) in 1:24:44. The best this year! The guy didn't state his name, and he didn't ask me mine. But for THIS single morning, he was there when I needed him.

God IS good. Sometimes He lets us see it; and the rest of the time we live by faith.

No comments: