Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Running Free

I don't know why yesterday's post has arrows on it; I didn't do anything different, not do I know how to get them removed. Oh well. . .on to today.
I ran 3 in 30:06, and I'm very proud of myself I might say. This is better than I did a year ago, pre-pneumonia (and I'm sure you're getting bored about hearing everything in terms of pre- and post-pneumonia, but it's my new base line, my latest start-over point). Pre-pneumonia I was running 5Ks somewhere around 8:45 to 9:30 pace in spite of slow training runs.
At the beginning of the year, I put a sticky note in my running journal with 2010's fastest runs in it, and today's 3-mile track run was also a 2010 best (not that we're very far into the year, but my motto for this year is "back again in 2010"). Both the 2009-2010 comparison and the sticky note indicate that I truly am getting better.
But running is actually fun again also and it has been for a couple weeks. Many days I find myself lost inside my head working out a problem, planning the day, or just thinking things through. And that's important, too.
Today I ran on the track and enjoyed being lost inside my head, not worried about time but just running to run. And the time was one of the better ones anyway. Sometimes the best runs are the relaxed runs, where you just let the legs fly and enjoy being free.

1 comment:

steve said...

Yes! Those relaxed runs were the legs just go are the best! I like the Lake front runs when my mind is wandering and I find that I'm back to the car already!