Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Dress


It is finished! After about a month of working with me or her friends, Anna Maria finished this dress, which she wore to a friends' wedding Saturday. It took the two of us together three hours just to blind stitch the rolled hem! Though I made both daughters' wedding dresses and the dresses for their wedding parties, I haven't worked with velvet since high school. The technique did come back to me quickly. Just like riding a bike, there are some things a person never forgets (although I did occasionally check my memory against instructions in the "Simply the Best Sewing Book" by Simplicity).
The project provided time for problem solving when the dress lining didn't fit quite right after the first trial and time to just chat while the sewing machine whirred or the needles whipped through the soft cloth. Team work.
Would I have worked on such a project had my daughter not needed the help? Probably not. My sewing machine has been idle for the last year and a half. But as I've learned through running with partners and as the dress project reminded me, a partner helps you keep going when the going gets tough and helps fulfill dreams you never even dared to dream.


1 comment:

Anna Maria said...

Thanks for your help on this project! I enjoyed the time we spent together, and the results were beautiful (if I may say so).