Sunday, April 26, 2009

Speed

We're four months into the 2009.  Racing season has begun, and instead of already being in shape, I'm starting over. I was a little behind in my training anyway because of the unusually long cold spell we had this winter. But then pneumonia hit. . .

Today's goal was three miles of speed work ending in a one-mile timed run. I did 4x400 at an average of about 1:58, which is very close to normal for me.  But then I bogged down -- whether because of post-race exhaustion, the 88 degree heat, or the pneumonia, I'm not sure.  I did 2x800 at 10 minute mile pace--one at 4:21 and one at 5:21 (I had to walk some). I did the one-mile in about 12 minutes; I walked half a lap.  

That's this year's base numbers, as it's been too cold on training days to do any speed work yet this year. I hope to do a couple more of these before the Senior Games the first of May.  And this weekend I am going to try running a six-mile race.

From there my goal is to build the miles back up to 10 by the end of May, when I'm hoping to run a 10-miler. Then I'll be basically be in pre-pneumonia shape.  (Though I've run two and missed one half marathon, no other 13-milers were on my schedule.  So 10 miles is enough for now and where I wanted to be at this point.)  

I'm tempted to get discouraged. Starting over is always hard work. But I'm still running. And that's a blessing. So I choose to be thankful and tell discouragement to leave me alone.  Setbacks aren't failure. Giving up is.

No comments: