Sunday, April 26, 2009

Race Day

Yesterday's 5K was in memory of an area educator, Sherry Anderson, who was killed in a hit and run accident. The driver allegedly was drunk. About 400 turned out for the run walk in Anderson's memory and to benefit education.

The course was the same one as the Harrisonburg New Year's Eve race, Anderson's last race. On New Year's Eve the temperature was in the 30s and the wind was blowing. Yesterday the temp was in the high 70s and the sun was blazing. I had the privilege of running both races -- yesterday's at 29:20 (a 9:30 mile pace) and on New Year's Eve I ran the course in 30:15 (a 9:45 mile pace).  With a one-mile warm-up, I ran a total of 4.1 miles, which is the longest and the hardest post-pneumonia run yet.

Track club members Marlin Yoder and Carmin Green were at the finish line with plenty of praise and encouragement.  I asked Carmin how she did, and she said, "Pretty good." 
I then said, "You always say "pretty good" and then later I find out you won. How did you do?"
She then admitted to being the first female overall winner.  

No comments: