Monday, January 12, 2009

Prickett's Fort: First Half for 2009


Photos are from Prickett's Fort after the race -- when it was raining again!

Saturday's race was sponosered by the Literacy Volunteers of America and raised funds for that program. The volunteers were excellent; the weather was something else. Temps were in the low 40s-high 30s, and it rained for the first two hours of the race. About the 3d mile, I yanked off my cotton outer pants, realizing they were soaked and weighing me down. If I'd have used my brains, I'd have worn nylon outer pants; but Butch got by just fine with just his tights. He just doesn't get as cold as me, I guess. This was the longest distance he's run since his last full marathon (26.2 miles) in 1992.  Lee, Butch's son, also ran this race -- his first half marathon.
And this was my first half since April last year, so our goal for the day was just to finish.  
The course was two out and backs in opposite directions (like a figure 8) and the first four miles felt fine. But at mile 7, I began to wonder if I was going to make 10 miles, the most I've run this season. My legs felt like chunks of ice--heavy and very cold. I chanted everything I could think of to keep going: "Please keep Butch and Lee safe."
"Please don't let anyone get hurt."
"Nete, pay attention to the scenery (We were running alongside a river on one side and mountain rocks on the other with stalactite chunks of ice hanging from them on the other). You were excited about this race because of the scenery. Pay attention."
The second turn around was just before mile 9, and I made it to that point before I decided to alternate walking at every mile marker for a bit and then running again. 
Just past the 9 mile marker,  I ran up to a female duo running their very first race. Since they were doing a walk-run also, we chatted on a couple walk breaks.  After I left them behind, around the 11 1/2 mile point, I ran into a former medical doctor who told me the story of how he found faith.
After 2 hours and 28 minutes I reached the finish line, and was handed a second place finisher's award. I never dreamed that pace would earn an award!  I was so cold all I could think about was getting inside and changing clothes.  To get a prize, too, was a serendipity.
I tried to unpin the key from my pocket but my hands were too frozen. I prayed that Aimee, Lee's wife, would be at the car so I could get in and grab a change of clothes. And she was! She unpinned the key, got the door open and then waited for the guys to come in while I left for the ladies' room to change. Butch came in at 2:32 and Lee at 2:38 (about). So we weren't all that far apart.  Lee said he'd reached three goals: he finished, he finished in less than three hours and he ran his first half marathon.  
This is a race I'd love to do again -- in better weather!

2 comments:

steve said...

Hey I wouldn't mind running with temps in the upper 40's!! (That would be a warm spell for us upstaters) Good job Sis to keep on going and finish in adverse conditions!! Tell Butch "well done!" as well. You both amaze me!!

Anieta McCracken said...

Upper 40s would have been good for me, too. . .I meant upper 30s, lower 40s. Sorry!