Friday, January 2, 2009

Grace

The starting line was packed, as most starting lines are, at Generations Crossing's New Year's Eve 5K (twice around the downtown loop) just after 3:00 p.m.  Runners were anxious to start as the race started a few minutes late.  The temperatures outside were in the low 30s to high 20s with wind gusts between 45 and 60 mph, according to the weather reports, and we were cold.
Finally the the shout, "Ready, set, go!"
The runners took off -- except for the young man next to me who did a gutter dance.  Just behind him a man tripped over the stumbler's feet; both brushed me as the second man dropped and rolled.  The dancer stopped and turned around, "Dad! Are you okay?"
"I'm fine, son. I just wanted to avoid falling on you."
Relief poured over Son's face, and both took off running again, dad just to his son's right rear.  And I ran off as well.  Grace had set the tone and won the race.

No comments: