Friday, December 19, 2008

A brave, but not so rave run. . .


Revised 21Dec08 (after an attitude correction from my NY running buddy):

Runners World posts a "Rave Run" in each issue.  We found last weekend's run in sleet and cold (mid-teens) to be a bit rough, but we did it anyway and now can include a winter run in Avoca amongst our list of 2008 adventures.  Slipping feet in plastic bags before sliding them into our running shoes (above) kept our feet dry.  That's a trick I learned when growing up without boots as a child in Iowa.  Butch suggested taping the top kept the snow from sneaking in from the top.
It was in the mid-teens when we ran the mile from hotel to my daughter's place.  The temps were in the mid-teens and the wind at our back as we left.  Even so I took one step forward and half a one backwards on every icy hill.  So we didn't add on the extra half that, upon returning home, would have met our three mile goal for the day.  We were worn out!
On the way back the wind burned and the sleet needled our faces.  My ski mask protected me somewhat, and, as you can see in the above photo, Butch found a combination of running gear that kept all but his face safe from the stinging ice needles.
Photo below:  Returning to the hotel, named The Caboose because, in the summer, guests can stay in train cars instead of the typical motel room.


1 comment:

steve said...

You know Sis I think you're wrong about the "Rave Run" thing. I've seen the magazine pic's of places I've never been to (and might not ever get to). Anytime I get a chance to run somewhere I've never been to before is a "Rave Run". How many people have run in Avoca NY in December? You have a unique experience Sis and I am proud of you!!