Sunday, December 21, 2008

Jingle Bell Run

We signed in at the registration table at the State Arboretum of Virginia for their annual Jingle Bell run.  The Orland E. White Arboretum was established in 1927, and registration was in The Quarters building, where from 1825 till slavery was abolished on the property, was part of the Tuleyries plantation. 
After pinning bells to our shoes and a warm up run, we ran alongside dormant dogwood trees as we watched our breathe steam from our mouths and nostrils.  The race begin with temps in the low 40s, but got colder before the 5K finish.  
The first leg was on loose gravel and after a couple slides I thought I'd break my neck.  But then I remembered our Broadway runs through the pea gravel track along the park and thought, "I know how to do this.  Just run where the gravel is packed the hardest and be prepared to 'dance' when you slide.'"  After the gravel piece, there was a section on asphalt and then the race ended on hard packed gravel -- more dirt road than gravel.  So that was a bit easier, too.
I watched the markers as we ran past a variety of plantings -- my favorite evergreen is the Normandy spruce with swooping branches that brush the ground.  
This was race #51 for the year and I finished in 29:15, very slow for me.  But I didn't fall!

No comments: