Saturday, August 9, 2008

Return to Gypsy Hill

Before moving to Broadway, I used to train at Gypsy Hill. Then I figured one loop around the park within 15 minutes was a good day. Then last fall, on November 10, I ran a 5K in the park in 27:44, just under 9 minute mile pace. I don't know what my lap times were; that's not recorded in my log. But I took first in my age group.

Today I participated in the Dog Days race, a race that promotors established to to get area cross country teams and their coaches ready for the next season. I was thrilled to run a lap around the park in 12 minutes; but when I added 12 minutes to the time on my watch I knew I'd better hurry if I was to beat 27 minutes -- and I was determined NOT to run another 27 minute 5K. So I pushed as hard as I dared, ran up a hill I often had to walk a year ago, and headed for the last downhill. The final kick was no sprint (I'd pushed too hard during the whole 5K for that, as it should be). But I WAS able to kick a bit at the end and crossed the line at 26:16, an 8:28 mile pace. Given that this was my third race in three days, I was content.

But the time just happened to be good enough to also merit a 2d place silver medal in a very unusual age grouping of 46-55 year old females (usually the age groups are 50-55, or 50-59). I WAS the fastest female aged between 50-55. Butch also took second in his division. My emotions soared to ecstatic. The winner in my division, Gail Holman, incidentally, broke the race record with a time of 24:01.

After the race I met up with my Susan, my former neighbor and co-worker; and Angie and her mom at Celebrate!. (Note: this is not a typo; the name of their store has an exclamation point). My hug quota filled for the day, I took a peek at the front of the law firm where I used to work; and then took a driving tour along one of my old running routes.

That's what I call a very good day.

No comments: