Friday, August 8, 2008

Consider the ant. . .



The last track meet of the season was last night, and I still felt sluggish after Sunday's Bikeabout (8 for the mile, 26:45 for the 5K). But then this morning I saw this ant dragging the carcass of that bug 20 times its size across the steps (click on the photo to enlarge it; you'll see it clearer). I decided that I didn't really understand the meaning of hard work.
"Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise!" (Proverbs 6:6).
Maybe I'll remember this the next time I am tempted to slack off. Actually I really didn't have much energy last night. Muscles were sore. And I don't really think I slacked off so much as I just couldn't muster up the energy for a hard race-pace run. I also think my emotions affected last night's run a bit. It was the last track meet of the season. Part of me was ready for that last track race, but another part wants the summer and the meets to last forever. The end of summer blues has commenced.

No comments: