Thursday, March 20, 2008

Runabouts...

I read, on the Runners World web site, about runabouts. The idea comes out of the Australian walkabout. The author suggested that a person just take off running, and then stop to walk when tired, and then run some more -- not logging times or clocking times -- just running and running, seeing if you can stay outside and on your feet all day.

I found the idea intriguing, having been out on my bicycle all day before. And I thought, wow! no worry about flat tires, or broken bicycle parts. I got an itch to try it. . .and then I thought, "by the end of the day you'd do a marathon distance."

And then I laughed. I promised a co-worker once that I wouldn't run farther than 10 miles. But once there I realized a half-marathon was only three miles more. Then last night I was actually thinking I'd enjoy a runabout. . .

And my sister told me I was insane (yup! that's the exact term) when I told her about Saturday's 11-mile-run.

Insane or not, the more I think about it, the more I think I'd like to try a runabout -- just wandering, outside, all day. No times. Just enjoying the fresh air. Sounds rather relaxing to me. The way I'd do it is I'd run until the scenery overwhelmed me. Then I'd stop and snap some photos. And then I'd run some more. . .

1 comment:

steve said...

Sounds like a cool idea !!! I won't mind trying that somtime myself.