Saturday, March 29, 2008

5K PR today!

25:23 was my time for Saturday's (3/29) somewhat hilly race in Harrisonburg, beating my former personal record (5 years ago) by 22 seconds. I was the 14th female (out of 300) and the 50th runner (out of 452); and first in the 50 year old female group. The race netted $8,300 for the Shenandoah Valley Autism Partnership.

During the awards ceremony, I was sandwiched amongst friends when my name was called. Granddaughter Eliza, when talking about her own personal experience with being lauded praise in public, said it well, "It's embarrassing. I don't like being the center of attention."

I had to agree! Yet I was glad that I won, and glad that being the center of attention was for something good. And having my friends alongside me, clapping and cheering for me, that, too, was nice. . .

Runners are such a supportive, encouraging group.

On Sunday I ran another 5K. "What? are you crazy?" another runner said, as most runners don't race two days in a row. That time was 26:08, a bit slower, even though the Bridgewater course was "flat and fast." The course may have have been "flat and fast," but this runner was tired and a bit slow.

I liken the back-to-backs as speedwork for the Half, it's just that the rest between the two 5K intervals was a bit over 24 hours, instead of the usual one-lap-walk break between intervals. And this race was a lot faster than the 5K I did in September at a pace of 10:11 per mile. The hard work IS paying off.

1 comment:

steve said...

Wow !!! Good Good job 'Nete. You amaze me. I'm thinking I'll have a hard time keeping up with you. (I could end up eating your dust !!!)