Saturday, September 8, 2007

Sherando Lake, Virginia

I meandered through some winding roads Saturday and Sunday, hoping to find a nearby running trail and cycing trail. Eventually I parked my car not too far from a signpost which stated, "Sherando Lake" and George Washington National Forest. From there I jogged along an old gravel road, now gated and open to foot traffic only. When I started seeing increasing amounts of sand in the roadway, I thought I just had to be getting to water. And sure enough eventually the path in the forest opened up into a clearing around Sherando Lake, where fishing is allowed, and boats and swimmers are not. These views were taken from the dam or levee (no signs really indicated what was what), but the view was gorgeous even if it wasn't identifiable.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

That last photo was taken near the dam? That's a pretty neat rock formation. I'd like to check it out if you can let me know where it's at.

Anieta McCracken said...

Sorry for the late response. . .I just returned from Iowa. Unfortunately I don't know where I was that day; I was lost, and can't retrace my "steps" on the map. I know this was near the Tory Furnace, the history of which is online. I know I was driving along that rode & followed a sign to George Washington Forest. . .there is a village called Sherando south of Waynesboro near Torry Road in Augusta County. The lake, it seems to me, must be near there.