Saturday, October 16, 2010

Witnessing a Record

The granddaughters stayed over last night. The agenda? on Friday: watch a parade, supper, downtime and bedtime; on Saturday: snack and 7:00 a.m. run followed by second breakfast with Mommy and Daddy. Last night went as planned, and the girls were asleep by a little after 10.
Eliza woke up hungry at 7:00 a.m. this morning, as did Magdalena. I reminded Eliza that she should not eat very much or she might get sick while on her run. But two miles isn't a great distance, so I fixed both girls half a serving of oatmeal. Eliza had water to drink and Magdalena had a cup of hot chocolate. Knowing my stomach, I had just a cup of coffee. Magdalena grabbed a pad of sticky notes and a pencil; she would tick off the laps and keep time. We plopped stocking hats and ear warmers on our heads, flung jackets over jammies (mine were sweats and theirs passed the modesty and warmth test) and headed for the park.
"I'll race you on the first lap, Grammie," nine-year-old Eliza said.
"You'll beat me," I answered.
I showed Magdalena how to work my watch. She set it, hollered, "Go," and we were off. Eliza won, but not by much--about 2:40 according to the watch. Seven laps to go. I flung off my jacket. Magdalena reset the watch. And Eliza and I slackened our pace just a bit for the long haul.
We passed a couple walking. As I ran past them, I hollered, "Isn't it wonderful that she is running with me?"
"It sure is," they answered.
On the sixth lap, Eliza said, "I think I can go three miles, Grammie."
Having run a two-mile pace up to now, I wondered if I could still run three myself. Keeping my thoughts to myself, however, I said, "Okay, let's do it."
Seventh lap, eighth lap. Same pace. I said, "Just think, Eliza. Anything past this is a personal record."
"No, I've run 2 1/2 miles before."
Then on the ninth lap, Eliza slowed to a jog; but she didn't stop. On the eleventh lap, I was leading and she was dragging farther and farther behind. I slowed even more. "You okay, Eliza?"
She said she was. So we kept on going. Twelfth lap and final lap.
"Is the last one?" she asked.
"Yes, it is. You're almost there."
Then she took off. Soon she was soaring ahead of me.
"Good job, Eliza," I yelled. "You saved something for the finish."
"I always do," she answered.
I quickened my pace, almost caught her, and finished about ten seconds behind her. According to Magdalena's watch, we had run three miles in about 25 minutes. That is probably a little bit off, as it would have taken her a few seconds to stop and start. But I am guessing it is isn't too far off--maybe closer to 27 minutes?
As we headed for home, I saw the walkers again, "You just witnessed a personal record," I told them.
He said, "She ran a lot of laps!"
"She did. She just ran three miles."
I nearly cried. Eliza's response? I think I would like to run five miles one day.
You can do it, Eliza. You can do it.

1 comment:

steve said...

Wow that is just awesome! I just found out today my son Nick has been running for about a month. He's up to 1.5 milers three days a week already. Oh to be that young again LOL!