Friday, October 8, 2010

After School Run

That's nine-year-old Eliza running two miles toward her "100 miles by the end of the school year goal." She will do it, too, because she has a plan. If she follows her plan, she will actually exceed her goal. "That's a good idea," I told her. "That way if you can't run for a day or two because of getting sick or injured, you'll still reach your goal."
"I know," she said confidently.
In fact she can run 2.5 miles without stopping now.
"I learned a trick," she said. "I just don't run as hard as I can."
That's right, I told her. "Running all out is for once around the track, maybe even a mile. But to go long you have to slow down."
Tonight was a two-mile night because she'd already run several laps at recess. About a year ago, she ran a one-miler and won her age group. And she was the first female in a track race during that same year. So she is fast. It runs in the family; her great aunt Andrea (my sister) was a fast runner in school and a cousin on her dad's side is a competitive runner. I, too, have a few medals and trophies on the shelf, though I didn't start running till I was 45 years old.
In spite of those two race successes, however, Eliza did not set any running goals or get the running bug until this year. I am not sure what changed her course, except she has said she will get a medal if she completes the 100 miles. Perhaps knowing Grammie runs races made her think that running is all about competition--against others. Perhaps hearing about that 100-mile medal made her realize that it does not have to be. And that would be important to Eliza; she does not like contests or competition. Sure, in a race, the first few at the front of the pack compete against each other. But only those first few win an award. The rest run to run, run to push themselves, or run for fitness. It matters not whether Eliza runs to win a race or runs to reach a goal. It doesn't even matter if the running bug sticks. But she is getting stronger. She is staying fit. She is choosing not to be a part of the obesity epidemic. And that is the important thing. And if she keeps running? Well, I DO love running with her!

1 comment:

Anna Maria said...

I'm proud of both you and Liza! Thanks for passing on a love for fitness and health.