Saturday, June 27, 2009

"Git 'er Done" Run

About a year or two ago, I came up with the term "Mind Over Matter" run. I was in a funk following a minor setback and couldn't finish three miles without a walk break. Finally I decided that problem was all in my head and I just needed to shut my mind off and do it. It worked.
My "Git 'er Done" runs are similar and came about after a very depressing run last Sunday. That was about ten weeks post-pneumonia, and I was feeling very depressed about my lack of speed. I run three miles in about 30 to 34 minutes and even at that pace it's very, very hard work. At the end of Sunday's run, which included some walk breaks, I decided it was time to accept things as they are and determine to enjoy running instead of fretting about what isn't happening. Hence the "git 'er done" run.
They're about just getting the run in, whether I feel like it or not, whatever it takes--even if it means having to walk a bit. The goal is not speed, but getting back the joy of running. I want to finish more alert than I started. I want to think while I run instead of just whining about how rotten I feel. I want to come home exhilarated, not exhausted. And I'm feeling better.
I did a 30:47 3-mile tempo run Tuesday, and I did speed work Thursday (4x200 at a 1 minute pace average) and felt good about both.
Today my goal was form -- standing tall, bending at the ankle, pumping my arms without crossing, landing midfoot. I stopped for a drink (it's 83 degrees) at the halfway point and finished at a faster pace than I began. Ending time was 32:22, but ideas were flowing and I thought about something besides whining. All is well.

No comments: