Tuesday, June 23, 2009

2 1/2 months post pneumonia. . .

I was very discouraged with Thursday's 30 minute 5K on the road at the track meet, and even more discouraged with Sunday's 34 minute three miler on the track. But then I looked up my times from last year. My races were considerably faster -- 26:25, 26:15, 26:11. . . But my training runs weren't much faster, especially on hot days and Sunday was hot. And a friend told me it took him three months to get over pneumonia, and he was in his 40s at the time.
So my attitude is better today even though my three miler on the track was still a little over 30 minutes (30:48). I did have enough energy to pick up the pace for a short distance on 4 laps, and ran a 200 sprint after the three miles (49.9 seconds). And that's a first.
Recovery just IS a slow process and I need to be more patient.

1 comment:

steve said...

Hang in there Sis!! You still amaze and inspire me!! Slog on!!