Saturday, October 18, 2008

Race 42 - 10/11 SVTC "Cleans House" & Dry Bath

Race 42 was the 10K Fall Foliage in Waynesboro, Virginia. Temperatures were in the 70s by the time the race started, so shorts and tee shirt was appropriate. The leaves are starting to turn. Near the halfway point I picked up a racer from North Carolina who originally thought this race was just a 5K. He hoped to finish in 60 minutes. We pushed each other to the finish, he beating me by a few seconds, both of us coming in around 58 minutes. Pace: 9:30.

And I took home my very first trophy! 51 years old and I finally earned one. I got home just in time to throw baby powder on hair and body (AM says the English call this a "dry bath"), and a clean shirt and jeans. Then I left for Woodstock and a Friends of the North Fork River fish fry; the organizers put the event together to raise funds for cleaning up the North Fork of the Shenandoah.

The little girls just beamed when they saw the trophy. I had told them a couple weeks ago how much I'd like to have just one trophy for my shelf. Eliza held it for several minutes on the drive and then Maggie cradled it like a baby, pure joy and pride on her face.

Then at the fish fry, Messie Maggie ground chocolate frosting on my shirt, but she's my granddaughter. . .I got home just as Butch pulled into the driveway for a church dinner with another friend. I yelled, "Clean shirt! I'll be right back!" And I tossed on another shirt and more baby powder -- just in case!!

Did my wet shower after all that ever feel good! I think it felt almost as good as winning that first trophy. But I wasn't the only one bringing home prizes. Butch, club president Rich Ruozzi, Susan Dendinger and George Gillies all won awards as well. I love it when the Club and friends clean house like this.

No comments: