Sunday, June 24, 2007

Transitions

In the DMV parking lot....off comes New York....
on goes Virginia...

As I exchanged one set of plates for the other, a couple guys were changing their plates two cars away -- and using the wrong tool.
"Need a tool?" I asked.
But they didn't understand. I listened to their conversation a bit as I worked and then I understood. When they finished, they asked something I didn't understand, but I could tell by their gesture that they were offering me a tool.
I said, "No, pero muchas gracias."
Their entire demeanor changed. With big beaming grins, one asked (thumb and pointing finger held close together), "Habla espanol pequito?"
"Se, muy pequito," I answered, chuckling and with a bit of joy that we could communicate at all. "y leo mi Santa Biblia en espanol...a aprendo espanol."
They seemed to understand, reading the Bible in Spanish to learn the language.
"Adonde?"
"El Salvador."
Ahhh...."bienvenido estados unidos," I said (welcome to the United States). And once again they beamed.
"Gracias."

No comments: